One of my favorite blogs is Allyson Conklin Public Relation‘s blog. Every so often, she asks these 20 questions of a professional she is highlighting that week. I always enjoy reading their answers and learning more about what motivates, inspires and pushes people to excel, so I thought it would serve me well to answer them myself as I work through what it is that I want to do professionally.
1. What was your first job out of college?
I worked at an in-bound call center selling checks. It was tough – you only got 2 15 minute breaks and 30 minute lunch, and the rest of the day you were constantly on your phone working with customers. As someone who has GI issues, not having the flexibility to use the restroom when necessary was HARD. I learned a lot about treating people well and how companies should take care of your employees. The management was always trying to find ways to incentivize and encourage us through raffles, bingo, potlucks, etc. which made it a little easier to handle those tough calls.
2. When you were in college, what did you think you’d be doing today?
When I was in college, I thought I’d be living in D.C. or NOVA following graduation, and by the time I was 26 I figured I’d either be on the Hill or working for a think tank or nonprofit.
3. What’s the piece of career advice you’ve ever received?
Treat everyone with respect and work smart.
4. Can you recall the moment you felt like you hit a groove in your career?
When I was given the freedom to see a project through from conception to delivery and run the follow-up research. It was empowering to be trusted with a project of that magnitude, where I had my boss to step in if I couldn’t get something done, but that it was on me to be the main point person and actually see the project through every step of development and delivery.
5. What’s the first thing you do when you get to the office every morning?
Get everything turned on, check my voice messages and make my to do list for the day.
6. What’s one thing you do daily to stay organized?
I make running lists of what needs to be accomplished and cross things off as I go; each week starts off a new list.
7. How do you sign off emails?
8. What’s the one character trait that’s vital for success in what you do?
Congeniality. It’s really important to make people feel valued and appreciated.
9. Can you share a career goal for 2016?
I want to work in my current role for a full year and decide on any future career plans that require further education. In the meantime, I may try to take a course or two in Photoshop or HTML that would compliment my existing communications background while adding a new skill-set to my resume.
10. What’s your favorite magazine?
I love The Economist.
11. Do you have a can’t-live-without beauty product?
Moisturizer & eye cream. My skin is so dry that without these two, my make-up flakes off & my skin breaks out.
12. What’s your go-to cocktail?
I love a good margarita, ceasar, mimosa, greyhound or vodka cherry sour.
13. Do you have a wardrobe staple?
Black, dresses, pants, flats & boots, black is my go-to.
14. Do you have a spirit animal?
15. Do you collect anything?
Elephants and cookbooks & art from mine & my families travels.
16. How do you stay healthy?
This is an area I really hope to focus on in 2016. I need to fully cut out gluten, and stop thinking “one bite won’t hurt me” because it does. I need to find time every day to move for at least 30 minutes and start making activity a priority again.
For now, I eat pretty healthy and drink water and tea.
17. What’s the best hashtag of all time?
#SNW101015 or #NorthingtonNewlyweds because they lead to pictures from people we love from a celebration we love.
18. What’s your decorating style?
Cozy. I love feeling cozy, so I enjoy stone and wood and things that feel “homey”. I love flannel and fuzzy blankets and rich colors.
19. What do you eat for breakfast most days?
Two hard boiled eggs, some kind of fruit (apples, grapes or cuties generally) and coffee.
Sometimes, I’ll fix oatmeal if I have more time.
20. Who would play you in a movie about your life?
Ginnifer Goodwin would be awesome! I feel we have a similar face shape & body type and she inspired my pixie hair cut. I also think she’s a great actress & seems so sweet in interviews!