Confession: I still have not watched Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life.
I made a deal with my husband a couple weeks ago that he would watch all of Gilmore Girls with me, if I watched all of Battle Star Galactica with him.
So, we have been binge watching Gilmore Girls straight through from the pilot and I have to say that no matter how many times I watch this series I am always catching a new reference or facial expression exchange. We are currently in season four and I am just as in love with Stars Hollow and its colorful residents as I was the first time I watched Gilmore Girls back in middle school.
1. Let’s get the tough question out the way first… Team Dean, Team Jess or Team Logan? Logan. While I think there were many questionable instances of his influence on Rory over their friendship and relationship, I also think he challenged her best. He was also very intelligent and witty and pushed her to be her best. He helped fuel a sense of adventure and travel and determination within Rory and he understood and accepted the “in-between” world in which she lived, coming from a family like her grandparents himself.
With Jess and Dean they never seemed to accept or understand how Rory lived in both the Chilton/Hartford world and the Stars Hollow world and seemed to seamlessly fit into both. Dean tried to be supportive and love Rory for who she was though they did not have much in common, but watching it back, many of his actions are over-bearing, controlling and manipulative – bordering too much on the line of control. Jess didn’t seem invested in who Rory was outside of their relationship – he didn’t care to get to know her friends, her family, her world. Yes, Jess and Rory both loved to read and could match on wit, but he never seemed interested in actually being a part of her life.
2. You stop by Luke’s Diner, your go to menu item is: blueberry muffin, pastry, french toast, burger and fries or pancakes with strawberries? My typical diner breakfast is scrambled eggs and hash browns, but I love French Toast and pancakes too!
My typical diner lunch is a french dip, which I’ve seen Lorelei and Rory order, but I also will never turn down a burger and fries.
3. Harvard or Yale? Yale. I am not smart enough for an Ivy League school, but of the Ivy’s, Yale was always one that intrigued me.
4. It’s time for the Star’s Hollow ‘Bid on a Basket’ festival. What are you putting in your basket? If I was making a basket for my husband to bid on, I would probably go with a breakfast theme. I’d prepare a jug or two of coffee, homemade waffles with different topping choices – nutella, syrup, whipped cream, different berries, etc. I’d have some water bottles and fruit and a few hard-boiled eggs.
5. What’s your favorite Gilmore Girls treat food? Pop tarts, Pizza, Chinese, Twinkies? I eat pizza most often, but Chinese would win if I had to choose. Its just not always easy to find good Chinese food in many of the places I’ve lived, where as good pizza is much easier to come by.
6. Friday night dinners or Star Hollow Town meeting? Friday night dinners. I didn’t grow up with my grandparents nearby, and I always wished I had gotten more time with them.
7. Christopher, Max, Jason, or Luke? Luke. I love that Luke was always a good friend to Lorelei and cared for Rory with no expectations. He was a solid pillar in their lives throughout the entire series.
Christopher had too much history and past hurt to ever really overcome, Max was wonderful but never quite seemed to fit, and Jason was just forgettable to me.
8. Rory’s ideal night alone is doing laundry in her pajamas while eating Indian food. What would your ideal night alone be? When I have a night alone I tend to take a hot shower or bubble bath, get into my pajamas early and snuggle in with a cozy blanket and either a good book or fun show to watch. Ideally, the night will include Thai food, but I’d also be good eating leftovers too.
9. Who would you rather hang out with, Paris, Lane or Marty? They’re all so different! Lane would be great because of her love of music and how fun she seems. Paris would a great study partner and someone to plan out achievable goals with. Marty would be fun for crazy college adventures.
10. Finally, with ‘A Year in the Life”, what season would you love to visit Stars Hollow in? Each season in Stars Hollow was filled with so many fun events and traditions. However Stars Hollow in winter has always seemed the most magical.